MISRA C / MISRA C++ Coding Standards Compliance
MISRA guidelines have been widely adopted to ensure the quality of safety-critical software in automotive, aerospace, defense, industrial, medical, and rail applications. By following MISRA rules, developers can be assured that they are using the most stringent software coding guidelines to mitigate liability and risk in software applications on which human lives depend. The ability to quickly and easily analyse software against programming standards delivers tangible benefits to development teams in terms of code quality, consistency, and reduced time-to-deployment.
Benefits of compliance to programming standards such as MISRA:
- Promote portability and avoid unexpected results
- Ensure there is no reliance placed on compiler- or platform-specific constructs
- Identify unreachable or infeasible code which often indicates a defect that will, at the very least, impact software maintainability
- Prohibit certain language constructs known to be a source of common errors
- Measurably reduce program complexity
- Improve program testability, easing standard compliance and certifiability
MISRA Rules Compliance Tools from LDRA
- The LDRA tool suite automates source code checking for conformance to any version of the MISRA rules (MISRA C:1998, MISRA C: 2004, MISRA C:2012, MISRA C++:2008, and MISRA AC)
- The TBmisra module automates source code checking for compliance to MISRA guidelines during unit test, system test, and integration testing to ensure compliance throughout the software development life cycle
- LDRArules is a cost-effective, stand-alone rules checker independent from the LDRA tool suite that is focused on increasing software quality through coding standards compliance, including MISRA
LDRA automates source code checking for conformance to MISRA guidelines
These checks occur during unit, system, or integration testing to ensure compliance throughout the software development life cycle. All versions of the MISRA rules (MISRA C:1998, MISRA C: 2004, MISRA C:2012, MISRA C++:2008, and MISRA AC) are completely integrated into the LDRA tool suite for efficient MISRA checking within a familiar development environment.
The LDRA tool suite locates and highlights areas of non-conformant code to aid documentation and modification. Extensive reports and graphical displays enhance understanding of the source code, facilitating improvements in testability, understandability, and maintainability in line with MISRA rules. The LDRA tool suite also enables coverage measures to be taken to ensure software testedness is measured and maintained, as recommended by the MISRA guidelines.
LDRA Offers Complete Transparency on Coding Standards Support
For every coding standard we support, we offer a complete compliance matrix so you can see exactly which rules are implemented within our tools. You can easily compare tool compliance to multiple versions of the standard, and you can assess compliance for multiple standards.
“LDRA has played an important role in the development and completion of MISRA C:2012,” commented Steve Montgomery, Chair of the MISRA C:2012 Working Group. MISRA is about collaboration and the latest version of MISRA C has benefited greatly from the involvement of all parties, including engineers across a number of sectors and disciplines. It is that expertise that will help programmers make safer use of the features of the C language.”